Santa Ana’s new City Council Members have started to appoint their nominees to our city’s Boards and Commissions, according to the current City Council Meeting Agenda.
City Councilwoman Elect Cecilia Iglesias has nominated several members of the community to serve on a number of City Commissions.
Here are Iglesias’ nominations:
- Everlena Oliver, Arts and Culture Commission, replacing Sandra Pena Sarmiento
- Mike Tardif, Community Redevelopment and Housing Commission Wood
- Chris Schmidt, Environmental & Transportation Advisory Committee
- Steven Nguyen, Historic Resources Commission, replacing Mark McLoughlin
- Angie Cano, Planning Commission, replacing Beatriz Mendoza
- Art Pedroza, Board of Recreation and Parks
City Councilman Elect David Penaloza has nominated:
- Nancy Sandoval Bailon, Environmental & Transportation Advisory Committee
- Angie Gomez, Board of Recreation and Parks, replacing Gisela Contreras
And City Councilman Elect Roman Reyna (Ward 4) has nominated termed out City Councilman David Benavides for the Santa Ana Planning Commission. Benavides will be replacing Reyna who was appointed by Benavides to the Planning Commission after former Planning Commissioner Phil Bacerra was ousted.
Bacerra is suing to overturn the Ward 4 election results on the grounds that Reyna should never have been on the ballot in the first place. Should that lawsuit prevail Reyna will likely be removed from the City Council and his Commission appointments will be replaced by whoever the City Council appoints to complete Reyna’s term. They may also end up holding a Special Election to replace Reyna.
The nominations will be reviewed and voted on by the Santa Ana City Council at their next meeting, on Tuesday, Dec. 18.