(April 2, 2020) – Nearly 300,000. That’s how many free meals the Santa Ana Unified School District (SAUSD) has distributed to Santa Ana children over the last three weeks while the District’s campuses have been closed to help curb the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Under the guidance of the SAUSD Board of Education, the District has made it a priority to continue to provide all children ages 1-18 with nutritious daily meals at no cost to families throughout the duration of the temporary closure.
As a service to the community, SAUSD will continue to serve up free healthy meals to children every day during the scheduled Spring Recess, from April 6-10, 2020.
“One of the Board’s top priorities during this pandemic is to ensure that our students continue to receive nourishment while our campuses are temporarily closed,” said SAUSD Superintendent Jerry Almendarez. “Many of our families are facing economic uncertainty at this time, and this is one less burden for them to carry.”
SAUSD distributes meals three days a week at 13 selected school sites, in a grab-and-go style that protects the health and safety of all involved.
Breakfast and lunch packages are given out from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the following schools:
• Esqueda Elementary K-8 School, 2240 S. Main St., Santa Ana
• Monte Vista Elementary School, 2116 W. Monta Vista Ave., Santa Ana
• Martin Elementary School, 939 W. Wilshire Ave. Santa Ana
• Madison Elementary School, 1124 E. Hobart St., Santa Ana
• Romero Cruz Academy, 2701 W. Fifth St., Santa Ana
• Carr Intermediate School, 2120 W. Edinger Ave., Santa Ana
• Mendez Fundamental Intermediate, 2000 N. Bristol St., Santa Ana
• Sierra Preparatory Academy, 2021 N. Grand Ave., Santa Ana
• Villa Intermediate School, 1441 E. Chestnut Ave., Santa Ana
• Willard Intermediate School, 1342 N. Ross St., Santa Ana
• Saddleback High School, 2802 S. Flower St., Santa Ana
• Santa Ana High School, 520 W. Walnut St., Santa Ana
• Segerstrom High School, 2301 W. MacArthur Blvd., Santa Ana
For more information on SAUSD’s free meal service, the public can call Nutrition Services at (714) 431-1900 and follow SAUSD Nutrition Services on Facebook and Instagram.