My son Joey spent the day helping to feed the needy at Santa Ana’s Salvation Army, along with many of his friends from Godinez High School. I am so proud of them! But when I got a call today from a reader looking for more opportunities to help the needy, I did not know where to send him. Luckily, State Senator Lou Correa recently published a list of charitable organiztions. I added to it. Here it is – this my friends is what Thanksgiving is really all about:
- Grandma’s House of Hope (GHH) – GHH distributes food, gifts, and toys to hungry children and their parents during the holiday season. Contact Lori Solomon at email@example.com for more information.
- Promesas de Yahweh Ministries (PDYM) – They provide grocery bags to people in need every weekend at their new location: 1622 S. Main Street, Santa Ana, 92707 (corner of Main and Pomona). To volunteer, please call (714) 404-0029.
- Mary’s Kitchen – They provide food and services to the homeless of Orange County, California. Click here to find out how to help.
- Veterans First, Thanksgiving at the Veterans House on Manor – Veterans First is serving dinner to homeless veterans at four locations on November 25th from 11:00am to 2:00pm. Please contact Beau McGaughey at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- The Wooden Floor – Each year, The Wooden Floor, previously known as Saint Joseph Ballet, provides gifts for 375 underprivileged youth at its annual student holiday party. Please contact Susie Forbath at Susie@TheWoodenFloor.org for more information.
- OneOC, Spirit of Giving – The Spirit of Giving is a service learning project where 1st grade students are taught the importance of community service. Please contact Shannon Reyes at sreyes@OneOC.org for more information.
- Mercy House Living Centers, Holiday Adopt-a-Resident Program – Please contact Ashleigh Anderson Camba at email@example.com for more information. (714) 836-7188.
- Official No One Left Behind – They collect food and give it away to the needy at the Delhi Center, on a regular basis. For more info contact Joyce Hall at 714-973-1982, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Catholic Worker – Click here to see their Volunteer Schedule.
- The Salvation Army Santa Ana Corps – Click here for volunteer information.
County of Orange
- The Orange County Toy Collaborative – The Orange County Toy Collaborative provides holiday gifts to children from low-income households. Please visitwww.ocgov.com/volunteer.asp for more information.
- Orange County Toy Collaborative – Operation Santa Claus distributes donated gifts and toys to underprivileged youth during the holiday season. Please contact Jane Dawson at Jane.Dawson@ocgov.com for more information.
- Military Children’s Charity, Inc. – The Military Children’s Charity distributes toys to American Servicemember’s children. Please contact Cherie Navarro at email@example.com for more information.
- Orangewood Children’s Foundation – The Orangewood Children’s Foundation distributes gifts to current foster youth, former foster youth, and low-income families throughout Orange County. Please contact Lupe Barerra at Lbarerra@orangewoodfoundation.org for more information.
- Providence Community Services – Providence Community Services distributes gifts to needy children who would otherwise go without during the holidays. Please contact Adrienne Davalos at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- WISEPlace, Adopt-a-Resident – Please contact Cindy Ruiz at email@example.com for more information.
- Corazon, 2010 Community Christmas Party – The community of Cumbres and Pedregal are hosting a community Christmas fiesta. Please contact Julissa Espinoza at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Orange County Rescue Mission – Various locations – click here to see a list of them. Click here to find out how to volunteer.
- Second Harvest Food Bank – Located in Irvine. Click here to find out how to help.
- Orange County Food Bank – Located in Garden Grove. Click here to find out how to help.
- Home Aid Orange County – Located in Irvine. Check their website for a great list of organizations that serve the needy and the homeless.
- For other County services for the homeless, click here.