Many weeks have passed since Jason “Hoss” Hallstrom was shot dead by the SAPD, after he and his friend Travis Mock pulled into the parking lot at the Target on Grand and 17th, in Santa Ana. We are still waiting for the report from the Orange County District Attorney, which has to investigate all police shootings in Orange County. But some of the pieces of this sordid puzzle have been put together by Hallstrom’s friend, Tiffany Nunley. Here is her story:
Travis Mock appeared in West Court, the morning of the shooting, for the case he was currently out on bail for. He never told this to anyone previously. This appears to debunk the SAPD’s story about a car chase due to a stolen car.
Travis and Kyle Mock had a deposition, scheduled for 10 am the morning after the shooting, regarding the incident in February 2011, in which an Anaheim officer shot him in the back.
A Protective Order was grant in November 2012, against the entire Anaheim Police Department. Travis Mock was then arrested in Riverside on 10-18-2012 – another incident that has yet to come to light. This was also another opportunity for police harassment.
Neither Mock nor Hallstrom were charged with a GTA, indicating that the car they were in when they were chased by the SAPD, and shot, was not reported as a stolen car. The charge of unlawfully taking of vehicle is a “wobble” law due to the circumstances and nature (like being in possession of the car’s key etc. – and is particularly wobbly if a person had ever been given permission at any other time to operate the vehicle in question).
The time and travel information also does not compute. Mock entered the North 5 Fwy by way of the Fourth Street on-ramp and exited by way of the Grand Avenue off-ramp. Its a known fact that the two ramps share one lane and is a very short distance. This is also a few blocks from where Travis picked up Jason. Where were they chased? When? Were they forced off the freeway? Where were the two off duty SWAT members?
We still know nothing of the shooting either. Where? When? Why? Were they allowed to get out, run, and then shot? There are bullet holes in the surrounding house, all at standing, head level. No weapons were found on Mock and Hallstrom and they had not engaged in any activities involving committing a crime.
The SAPD’s mistake as to who was driving is truly bizarre. How could one confuse a 6’2″ man with a 5’8″ man? Were the police so engrossed with shooting these men that they were oblivious to which side of the vehicle they exited from?
With Mock’s recent incarcerations in both State and Federal Prisons it was also odd that the photo of him released to the media by the SAPD would be his courtesy of the DMV while Hallstrom’s photo was courtesy of the SAPD.
Parole was also never mentioned.
Residents in the area of the shooting claim to have been removed by the police or told to wait with the rest of their neighbors at the Target.
And for whatever reason Hallstrom’s friends and relatives were denied the opportunity to visit with him and were not informed about his medical condition after the shooting. He died alone.
Nunley hired a Criminal Attorney who was granted a five minute visit by the SAPD, District Attorney, and the City Attorney.
Mock was arrested on Saturday, March 16th, according to the SAPD’s arrest log, but Hallstrom’s entry showed he was arrested on Friday, March 15th, at 0:00 time.
The court records reflect that Hallstrom was a co-defendant and he was charged after Mock was arraigned on March 18. The record states the court appearances were heard but none were notified or attended by the private counsel that Nunley.
So what really happened? And will the OCDA look at this fairly or will they cover up for the cops again?