Shopping in stores:
- Never leave your valuables unattended, phone, purse, wallet, etc.
- Wait until asked before taking out your credit card or checkbook. An enterprising thief would love to shoulder surf to get your account information.
- Tell a security guard or store employee if you see an unattended bag or package. The same applies if you are using mass transit.
- Deter pickpockets by carrying your purse close to your body and keeping it closed.
- Men keep your wallet in an inner coat pocket or front pants pocket.
- Do not buy more than you can carry. Plan ahead by taking a friend with you or ask a store employee to help you carry your packages to the car.
- Have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle. Check the back seat and around the car before getting in.
- Do not leave packages visible in your car windows. Lock them in the trunk or, if possible, take them directly home.