MainPlace, a three-story super-regional shopping center in Santa Ana, California, will host a day of education and fun in honor of Día de los Muertos on Saturday, October 28th, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. as well as trick-or-treating at participating MainPlace retailers on Tuesday, October 31st, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Día de los Muertos Event
- Live performances (Macy’s Court): Aztec dancers in traditional (2 p.m. to 3 p.m.), Día de los Muertos storytelling (3 p.m. to 4 p.m.), and a cumbia band (4 p.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Sugar Skull Decorating Workshop (JCPenney Court): Materials including handmade sugar skulls, assorted colors icing, mini flowers, and rhinestones will be provided (while supplies last).
- Illustration Station (JCPenney Court): A local caricaturist will draw participants, then gift the drawings to them as a courtesy.
- Kid Zone (Round One Court): An art workshop where children can transform a skeleton-style fabric dog into a colorful alebrije; painting materials will be provided (while supplies last).
- Mural Photo Op (Center Court): A brand-new hand-painted eight-foot-tall mural will provide a spectacular selfie opportunity. Two additional murals from previous years will be stationed in other areas of the center to provide additional selfie opportunities.
- Face Painters (Center Court): Eight professional face painters will bring little catrinas and catrines to life with half-painted faces honoring those that have passed and left deep scars.
- Live Painting (Near The Children’s Place and Food Court): Local painters will create works of art in person, encouraging onlookers to ignite their own creative passions.
- Aztec Zone (Food Court): An Aztec Zone designed to educate the public as well as honor the cultural aspects of the day’s celebration of life will include discussions about ceremonial ideals, language, dance, attire, instruments, and the unique drumming styles found in the Aztec culture.
- Basket Weaving Art Station (MyPerks Lounge): An exclusive art station will teach attendees to weave a DIY basket using paper plates, yarn/twine, and other materials that will be provided to participants (while supplies last). To take part in this workshop, guests must be a MyPerks member. Not a MyPerks member? No problem. Joining is easy and free of charge; to sign up, visit https://www.shopmainplacemall.com/profile.
- Swag Bags (Macy’s Court): The first 300 children to visit the welcome table in Macy’s Court will receive a swag bag filled with goodies and treats.
Halloween Trick-or-Treat Event
During the October 31st event, guests are invited to wear their Halloween costumes and trick-or-treat throughout the center. Participating retailers will have a sign in their windows indicating that they have candy (while supplies last). While participants are encouraged to wear costumes, anyone over 12 years of age is asked not to wear a Halloween mask or to wear a costume with a weapon. Fighting is prohibited on the property and offenders will be asked to leave; the use of silly string, blow horns, or any powdery substance is also prohibited and subject to confiscation.
The Día de los Muertos (October 28th) and Trick-or-Treat (October 31st) events are free and open to the public; no pre-registration is required. Crafts and candy are available while supplies last. To learn more, visit https://www.shopmainplacemall.com/events.
- Día de los Muertos Event: Saturday, October 28th: 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Trick-or-Treat Event: Tuesday, October 31st: 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Conveniently located off the I-5, SR-55 and SR-22 freeways, MainPlace is a three-story super-regional shopping center in Santa Ana, California, just minutes from Disneyland Resort and the Anaheim Convention Center. Anchored by Macy’s and JCPenney, MainPlace is home to 150 shopping, dining, service and entertainment options including H&M, Bath & Body Works, Victoria’s Secret, California Pizza Kitchen, Boudin SF, 24 Hour Fitness, T-Mobile, Candeeland, LensCrafters, Picture Show Theater, and Round One Bowling & Amusement. The center is owned and operated by Centennial, a national owner of major shopping, dining, entertainment and mixed-use destinations. For more information, visit the center’s website at www.ShopMainPlaceMall.com and follow MainPlace on Facebook and Instagram.
MainPlace is located at 2800 N. Main Street, Santa Ana, CA 92705