UPDATE: Click here for pictures and a recap of the 2011 Noche de Altares (Day of the Dead/Dia de los Muertos).
For the 9th year in a row, Centro Cultural de México is organizing Noche de Altares (A Night of Altars/Day of the Dead/Dia de los Muertos) on Saturday, Nov. 5. This year Centro is proud to present this free event in partnership with Calacas Inc., a Santa Ana business that promotes art and culture through products made by indigenous people living in México and local artisans living in Southern California.
Noche de Altares is a community-based event celebrating Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), one of México’s oldest, indigenous festivals. Organized by volunteers, the purpose of the celebration is to honor the ancient traditions of the festival and bring community members together through art, culture, and compassion.
For one night, families, students, community organizations, activists, artists, and businesses are invited to build an altar in memory of a deceased loved one or to bring awareness to a social issue.
Participants in past events have dedicated their altars to their parents, siblings, and friends. They have also dedicated their altars to soldiers who have died in war, women who have made a significant impact in history, and people who have died of AIDS, cancer, and diabetes.
In addition to viewing beautifully created altars, attendees will be entertained by cultural performances and live music. Children can get their face painted and participate in free, art workshops. Local artists will be selling their wares and local restaurants will be selling their most delicious dishes. Finally, attendees will have a photo opportunities with La Catrina, the modern-day icon of Día de los Muertos created by Mexican artist Jose Guadalupe Posada.
9th Annual Noche de Altares
Saturday, November 5th 2011
4th and Birch Streets,
Santa Ana, CA
Noche de Altares 2011 – Saturday, November 5 · 1:00pm – 10:00pm
Schedule of Events:
- 1:00 pm – 1:30 pm Chilenos
- 1:40 pm – 2:00 pm Santa Ana Youth Skit
- 2:00 pm – 2:30 pm Bolivianos
- 2:45 pm – 3:30 pm Ballet Folklorico de Centro
- 3:40 pm – 4:20 pm Mariachi de San Juan Capistrano
- 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm Aztec Dancers Bless Event
- 4:30 pm Sunset La Catrina begins Procession & Lighting Candles
- 4:30 pm – 5:00 pm Relampago del Cielo
- 5:15 pm – 6:00 pm Banda Estrella de Michoacan
- 6:20 pm – 7:00 pm Son del Centro & Son Kids
- 7:20 pm – 8:00 pm Los Santaneros (Cumbia/Rock)
- 8:20 pm – 9:25 pm Cumbia Tokeson, http://www.reverbnation.com/TOKESON
All photos and videos of Noche de Altares event are for personal use only. Any commercial use is strictly prohibited without the expressed written consent of Noche de Altares.
For information contact: email@example.com