The Santa Ana City Clerk, Mary Huizar, sent me the Santa Ana Council and Mayoral candidates’ new campaign finance reports today. You can read them all by clicking here. The reports are a heck of a read – for one thing it looks like Ward 3 candidate Eric Alderete raised more money than all of the other candidates.
Here is a rundown of the reports’ highlights:
- Mayoral challenger David Benavides received $28,624.95 in contributions. He also reported $18,000 in loans, for a total of $46,624.95 in contributions. Benavides reported just under $37K cash on hand. Have a look at his contributors – a veritable Who’s Who of Usual Suspects and folks who have had it in for Mayor Miguel Pulido for awhile.
- Mayor Pulido reported $19,949 in contributions. There is a lot more on the way but his big fundraiser was on Oct. 4 and the checks have not come in yet. Doubtless the Benavides crew will tout the advantage their guy has, but it won’t last long. Pulido’s campaign reported over $9K in cash on hand.
- Ward 3 candidate Eric Alderete reported over $50K in contributions. He has over $55K cash on hand and $20K in outstanding debt.
- Ward 3 candidate Brett Franklin, a former Council Member, reported $18,545 in contributions. He also reported $42K in loans. He has over $28K cash on hand.
- Ward 3 candidate Charles Hart reported only $2,325 in contributions, and $3,500 in loans. He has only $310.24 cash on hand.
- Ward 5 candidate Karina Onofre reported total contributions of $34K, which included loans of $31K. She has an ending cash balance of over $28K.
- Onofre’s opponent, Roman Reyna, reported only $11K in contributions including $3,000 in loans. He has only $2,825 cash on hand. He was not however the least successful of the Benavides cartel, in raising money for his campaign, in this filing period. That record belongs to Council Member Vince Sarmiento, who is running again in Ward 1.
- Sarmiento reported only $1,650 in contributions, with massive loans of $50K. His year to date contributions are $15K. Sarmiento has $62K cash on hand, but remember that his opponent isn’t even raising money or campaigning. He did however send out a ridiculous four page glossy mailer the other day. Cha ching!