Santa Ana Mayor Vince Sarmiento has announced a few endorsements for his race for the O.C. Board of Supervisors in the new District 2, which includes parts of Anaheim, Orange, Garden Grove and most of Santa Ana.
Sarmiento’s endorsers appear to be some of the most liberal elected officials in Orange County, including:
- Santa Ana City Councilmember Johnathon Ryan Hernandez
- Santa Ana City Councilmember Jessie Lopez
- Tustin City Councilmember Letitia Clark
- Santa Ana Unified School District Trustee Carolyn Torres
- Rancho Santiago Community College District Trustee Sal Tinajero
- Rancho Santiago Community College District Trustee David Crockett
- Anaheim City Councilmember Dr. Jose F. Moreno
- Anaheim City Councilmember Avelino Valencia
- Anaheim Union High School District President Al Jabbar
- Anaheim Elementary School District President Juan Alvarez
- Anaheim Elementary School District Trustee Paolo Magcalas
- Anaheim Elementary School District Trustee Ryan Ruelas
- Garden Grove Unified School District Trustee Walter Muneton
- Ocean View School District President Gina Clayton Tarvin
Sarmiento has also been endorsed by the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 324, which represents 23,000 men and women who are employed in the food, dental, financial, health care, optometry, packinghouse, processing, retail drug, cannabis, and merchandise industries throughout Orange and southern Los Angeles Counties.
Thus far no moderate or conservative candidates have emerged for District 2.
Sarmiento garnered only 35% of the vote when he was elected as Mayor of Santa Ana in a crowded race that included then City Councilman Jose Solorio and former City Council Members Ceci Iglesias as well as Claudia Alvarez.
Be sure to vote in our poll atop this post for your favorite candidate for District 2!