Updated: Click here to watch a video of the shooting, shot by a witness on his cell phone.
Police say that Hans Arellano, the 22-year-old homeless man who was killed in an officer-involved shooting in Santa Ana on Tuesday was not armed. Now, there are three separate investigations underway into the shooting, according to KABC News.
Friends of Arellano say that he had been sleeping behind one of the businesses near the place where he was fatally shot.
Arellano got into a confrontation with an officer around 3 p.m., then ran, he said. Another officer came to assist, and one officer, woman who is a 13-year veteran with the department, shot Arellano once in the front torso, Rojas said, according to the O.C. Register.
Elizabeth Lopez, who says she treated Arellano like a son, says the only thing missing from his backpack was his iPod. Friends wonder if the officer mistook it for a weapon, according to KABC News.
SAPD Police Chief Carlos Rojas says the officer had a stun gun, but when asked why that wasn’t used said only that all aspects of the incident were under investigation, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
The victim’s sister, Tania, described her younger brother, who went by Kevin, as funny and outgoing; often, his voice and laugh were the loudest in a room. He was kind to her four children, she said, and had a soft spot for her. About a month ago, she found a branch of roses, likely rescued from a gardener’s trimmings, on the hood of her car. She instantly knew it was from her brother, according to the O.C. Register.
My sources tell me that since the exit of City Manager and former SAPD Police Chief Paul Walters, the police department has been in total chaos and many veteran cops are openly talking about leaving. The City Council ousted Walters as part of their petty war against Santa Ana Mayor Miguel Pulido. I am told that they will be appointing a new City Manager this Monday.