Candace Brito and Vanesa Zavala have been found not guilty of the second-degree murder of Kim Pham, who died outside a nightclub in Santa Ana earlier this year. The two defendants, however, were both found guilty of voluntary manslaughter and assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury, according to the OC Weekly.
The Kim Pham murder trail is finally set to begin next week. You may recall that Kim Pham was the young lady who was literally kicked to death by female patrons, including Marie Brito and Vanesa Zavala, of the now-defunct Crosby bar, a hipster joint in Downtown Santa Ana that is now called the North Left.
A judge has ruled that two women will stand trial on murder charges in connection with the death of a 23-year-old woman left unconscious and fatally injured after a fight outside a Santa Ana nightclub, according to the O.C. Register.
A judge ruled there was enough evidence to try Vanesa Zavala and Candace Brito. Both defendants have pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the death last month of Annie Hung Kim Pham, according to the S.F. Chronicle. Continue reading
Candace Brito, 27, and Vanesa Zavala, 25, appeared at a preliminary hearing as Pham’s family member wore buttons with the victim’s likeness. Both women had pleaded not guilty to murder, according to KTLA. A judge will decide if there is enough evidence to send two women to trial on charges they stomped and kicked a 23-year-old woman to death in a fight outside a popular California nightclub.
Patricia Navarro, a veteran Santa Ana homicide detective, said a witness reported seeing Vanesa Tapia Zavala, 25, join in a fight that started with a verbal altercation. Zavala and Candace Marie Brito, 27, both office workers from Santa Ana, have pleaded not guilty to murder charges, according to the OC Register. Continue reading
Contrary to reports that bystanders did nothing as a 23-year-old woman was fatally beaten outside a Santa Ana nightclub, an Orange County prosecutor said that as many as 15 people tried to come to the victim’s rescue, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“There’s been a lot of misinformation in this case,” OC Senior Deputy District Attorney Troy Pino said outside the courtroom Thursday. “There have been statements that this was a person who was beaten by four to five people while everyone stood around and did nothing except videotape — and that’s not accurate. There were plenty of people who got involved and tried to stop this altercation, plenty of people: security guards, friends of the victim, bystanders,” according to CBS. Continue reading