Back in the day I used to publish a regular column over at the Orange Juice blog called “Santa Ana Political Chismes.” It was hugely popular so we are bringing it back again. Chismes are how we say “rumours” in Spanish but the word is also used to describe breaking hot scoop – and that is something we do regularly here at the New Santa Ana blog.
Buckle up, here we go!
- I am hearing that some sort of anti-Claudia Alvarez protest is going to go down at Monday’s Santa Ana City Council meeting. There will be a lot of media there. Ruh roh!
- Can you believe it? The Santa Ana Unified School District has screwed the kids in Santa Ana NJB Basketball. They have been told that they can no longer use the gym at Saddleback High School for free. Now they have to pay $130 an hour to use it! That means each player will have to cough up $225 a year. Is this any surprise given that most of the SAUSD School Board members are either too old to have kids in school or don’t have kids at all? No parents on the School Board = kids get screwed!
- The chisme has it that everyone at Santa Ana’s City Hall was busting up today over our post about how Jill Arthur is trying to stop the City Council from selecting a new City Manager. Turns out a new City Manager will be able to finally dump her!
- Speaking of City Hall, I am hearing that former City Manager Dave Ream, Arthur’s old boss, made an incredible mess and the bones are starting to rise to the surface. Suffice to say that it will take years to clean up his excesses!
- Word has it that the Latina who is the leading candidate to become our next City Attorney has five votes on the City Council. Si se puede!
- Word has it that some of our activists friends are planning to stake out any future Usual Suspect Wine Walks and then call the police and ask them to arrest these folks for drinking in public!
- I am hearing that President Barack Obama may visit Santa Ana next year, during his reelection campaign. Count on Mayor Miguel Pulido being up on the stage with him. As for Al Amezcua? He will try to crash the stage again, like he did when Clinton was in town, but this time he might get tased!
- Speaking of Pulido, I am hearing that he will run for one more term, then move on, likely to a federal appointment after Obama is reelected.
- Senator Lou Correa says he plans to run for California State Attorney General if U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein retires, as it figures that Kamala Harris, the current A.G., will go for Feinstein’s seat.
- What about Assemblyman Jose Solorio? He is keeping mum about it but he just might sit out for two years then run for Correa’s seat in 2014.
- Will Supervisor Janet Nguyen run against Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez? I am hearing that she will, if Sanchez’ seat goes red after redistricting. Nguyen will use her baby as a prop and try to present herself as more pro-family than Sanchez, who has no kids but did get married recently. Good luck with that Nguyen. Sanchez helped rear most of her siblings!
- Santa Ana Parks and Rec Director Gerardo Mouet is now on the OC Fair Board. Figure that he will combine forces with OC union boss Nick Berardino, who is also on the board, to bring some Democratic flavor to the formerly all GOP board. Mouet is a history buff and an arts and culture enthusiast. He is also into fitness. I think he is going to make a real difference on the OC Fair Board, which came up with the lame motto this year of “Let’s Eat.”
That’s it for now folks. More next week!