Santa Ana does not have its own first-run movie theater so residents have to go see movies in surrounding cities, which just about all have such establishments. Sadly one of those options is closing down as the Regal Cinema company has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
The Regal Edwards Metro Point location in Costa Mesa is slated to close perhaps as soon as Feb. 15, when their lease will be rejected.
The Regal Edwards Metro Point location was only rated three stars on Yelp. Other local theater options that remain for Santa Ana residents include:
- AMC Tustin 14 at the District, rated four stars on Yelp
- AMC 30 in Orange is rated three stars on Yelp (on the plus side they are the Outlets at Orange and there is lots to do there)
- Regency Theaters South Coast Village, rated five stars on Yelp (they show art films but also new movies)
- The Frida Cinema, rated four and a half stars on Yelp (they are Orange County’s only indie art house cinema)
- The LOT in Fashion Island, rated four stars on Yelp (crazy expensive but you can eat dinner and have a cocktail while watching a movie)
- Picture Show at MainPlace Mall, rated three stars on Yelp (mostly older movies but they show some new movies. However the experience here is sub-par and you can expect movies to be disrupted by screaming kids even when the films are rated R)
- Century Stadium 25 in Orange, rated three and a half stars on Yelp (apparently their heated seats are popular)