(Santa Ana, CA) — World AIDS Day is December 1. In recognition of World AIDS Day and the 2020 campaign theme, “Ending the HIV/AIDS Epidemic: Resilience and Impact,” the OC Health Care Agency (HCA) recognizes the key role that our local communities have in the AIDS response.
World AIDS Day unites community efforts to stop new HIV infections, support those living with HIV, and remember those who have lost their lives. Worldwide more than 75 million people have been diagnosed with HIV and in Orange County (OC), 13,540 people have been diagnosed with HIV since reporting began in 1981. Our communities can help end the stigma of HIV by getting tested, knowing their status, and supporting those living with HIV.
Local World AIDS Day Events:
- The LGBTQ Center OC will provide HIV testing (by appointment only). Appointments can be scheduled online at: https://www.lgbtqcenteroc.org/services/hiv-testing/. Swag bags will be provided to anyone that comes in for testing on this day. This event is scheduled for December 1 from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- RADAR in collaboration with The Frida Cinema will commemorate World AIDS Day with a drive-in presentation of the 2018 Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody. More information is available at: https://thefridacinema.org/drive-in/bohemian-rhapsody/. This event is scheduled for December 1 and gates open at 5:30 p.m.
National World AIDS Day Events:
- The Federal Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Office of Infectious Disease and HIV/AIDS Policy (OIDP) will host a special Live with Leadership – World AIDS Day Edition conversation to learn directly from key HHS and community leaders about new and ongoing work furthering the Ending the HIV Epidemic initiative. More information is available at the following link: https://www.hiv.gov/blog/mark-your-calendar-live-leadership-world-aids-day-edition. This event is scheduled for December 1 from 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
HIV testing is available year-round at these locations:
Due to COVID-19, testing services may be by appointment only and testing hours may change without notice. To make an appointment or for additional information regarding testing hours, contact:
- APAIT Health Center: Call (714) 636-1349 to make an appointment or visit http://apaitonline.org for more information.
- OC Health Care Agency/17th Street Testing, Treatment and Care Clinic: Call (714) 834-8787 to make an appointment or visit http://www.ochealthinfo.com/std for more information.
- RADAR: Call (714) 868-5601 for information on at-home HIV self-test kits.
- Radiant Health Centers: Call (949) 809-8764 to make an appointment or visit https://www.radianthealthcenters.org for more information.
- The LGBTQ Center OC: Call (714) 953-5428 to make an appointment or visit www.lgbtcenteroc.org for more information.
For more information on World AIDS Day, visit: https://www.hiv.gov/events/awareness-days/world-aids-day