The Santa Ana 2012 Fiestas Patrias parade ran for about an hour and a half today, starting at 4 pm. I got there a few minutes late and missed Mayor Miguel Pulido, who was apparently riding in a Wells Fargo stagecoach, but I caught everyone else.
Above you wil find a slideshow of the politicians and the floats, and everything else. The parade featured men on horseback, someone in a bear costume, native dancers, and even a couple of ninjas.
Here are some of the high, or low lights to look for:
- Santa Ana Councilman Vince Sarmiento rode in a car with his friend Eric Alderete, who is running for Ward 3. I did not see their kids.
- SAUSD Trustees Rob Richardson and Audrey Noji shared a car. They both voted against hiring SAUSD Superintendent Thelma Melendez de Santa Ana, who has been terrific. She was in the parade too.
- Council candidate Roman Reyna was in a car with a statuesque young lady that I presume is his girlfriend.
- Republican Ward 3 candidate Charles Hart showed up, walking in a crudely stenciled t-shirt.
- Council candidaet Karina Onofre walked the parade, with two little kids.
- Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez was dressed in red and was running around as usual.
- Assemblyman Jose Solorio was in a car. There was a car for State Senator Lou Correa too but I didn’t see him.
- There were marching bands and flag teams from Santa Ana High, Century High and Valley High.
- Protesters were there to demand democracy in Mexico
In all it was a lot of fun and the weather was a bit cooler today. If you did not make it I hope to see you at the parade next year!