UPDATE: The Occupy protesters are going to show up at this event! The dinner is sold out. It should be quite a ruckus.
“California Governor Jerry Brown has vetoed SB 847, a bill by Senator Lou Correa (D-Santa Ana) that would have required medical cannabis cooperatives and collectives be located at least 600 feet from residential zones,” according to 420 Times.
The bill was SB 847, by state Sen. Lou Correa (D-Santa Ana), who said he wanted to allow cities to chose their own regulations and to protect children living near such facilities from second-hand smoke, according to the L.A. Times.
In vetoing Correa’s bill that would have unnecessarily restricted medical marijuana clinics, Brown wrote “Decisions of this kind are best made in cities and counties, not the state Capitol,” according to columnist Steven Greenhut, in the North County Times.
Brown echoed that sentiment, in August, when he “stepped in the middle of a dispute over the proliferation of medical marijuana dispensaries, signing a law Wednesday that gives Los Angeles and other cities clear authority to restrict their location and operation,” according to the L.A. Times.
The Times also reported that “the measure, supported by the Los Angeles city attorney, authorizes local government to adopt ordinances regulating the location and operation of the dispensaries and to file civil or criminal claims against violators.”
Greenhut’s theory is that Brown has a Libertarian bent, in emphasizing local control over increasing state power. If so that is bad news for the Democratic Party of Orange County, which has asked Brown to headline this year’s Truman Dinner. This event usually raises money for the DPOC – but this year it is merely replenishing what former DPOC Treasurer Kinde Durkee allegedly ripped off.
The Truman Dinner takes place on Tuesday, October 11, at 6 pm, with a VIP Reception. Dinner starts at 7 pm Dinner. The event will be held at the Irvine Airport Hilton, located at 18800 MacArthur Blvd., in Irvine.
The Truman Dinner Awardees this year include:
- Harry S. Truman Award: Mayor Sukhee Kang, City of Irvine (Kang incidentally got cleaned out by Durkee, allegedly)
- Samuel Gompers Award: Glen Nolte
- Richard J O’Neill Award Lifetime Achievement Award: Paul Goldenberg
Here are the Truman Dinner details for tickets/sponsorships:
- Platinum $10K — premier seating level 1 table, 10 tickets to dinner and VIP reception with Gov. Brown, full page ad (inside cover or back cover)
- Gold $5K — premier seating level 2 table, 10 tickets to dinner and 5 tickets to VIP reception with Gov. Brown, full page ad
- Silver $3,500 – premier seating level 3, 10 tickets to dinner and 3 tickets to VIP reception with Gov. Brown, half-page page ad
- Bronze $1,500 — assigned table, 10 tickets to dinner, 1/4 page ad
- Supporter $1000 — VIP seating at dinner and ticket to VIP reception with Gov. Brown
- Friend $500 — 2 premier seating tickets to dinner
Individual tickets: $145 per person $100 per person for Sustaining Members and Young Dems.