(SANTA ANA, CA) — State Senator Lou Correa and State Controller John Chiang are partnering with Cal State University, Fullerton (CSUF), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and the OC Financial Stability Alliance to provide free 2011 income tax preparation assistance.
The tax assistance workshop will take place on Tuesday, April 3rd from 1:00 to 4:00pm at the CSUF Garden Grove Campus in Room 150, 12901 Euclid Street, Garden Grove, CA 92840.
“Filing taxes can be a confusing and time consuming process, leaving many people at a loss for what to do,” said Senator Correa. “So many of our families need assistance filing taxes in order to get a tax refund, which is money that returns directly to our communities and supports the local economy. Because of the current economic conditions, it is important that we ensure hardworking taxpayers have access to free tax preparation services and receive the benefits they deserve.”
Taxpayers need to bring the following information to the workshop:
- Proof of identification,
- Social Security Cards for themselves, spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration,
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for themselves, spouse and dependents,
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers,
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099),
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available,
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check, and
- The total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
This is a free service for low-to-moderate income taxpayers who are filing basic 2011 federal and California state tax returns. Taxpayers with complex tax issues or in need of tax advice should consult a professional tax advisor.
Volunteers are certified by the IRS and all information is confidential. Some individuals may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is a federal tax refund for low-to-middle income individuals and families. To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
For more information or to make your free tax assistance appointment, please call (714) 558-4400 or email Meredith.Vivian@sen.ca.gov.
Senator Lou Correa represents the 34th Senate District, which includes the cities of Anaheim, Buena Park, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Santa Ana, Stanton, and Westminster.