ORANGE COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY NEWS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 18CF0057
Date: January 3, 2018
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was charged today with assaulting a peace officer after crashing into the officer’s patrol motorcycle with a stolen vehicle.
Defendant: Nicholas Raymond Mauro, 32, Santa Ana
Charged today with the following counts:
- Aggravated assault on a peace officer
- Unlawful taking of a vehicle
- Resisting or obstructing a peace officer
Maximum Sentence: Five years and eight months in state prison plus one year in county jail
Arraignment: Jan. 4, 2018, 9:00 a.m. at Department C-55, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- On Dec. 6, 2017, Mauro is accused of unlawfully taking a black 2008 Toyota Scion.
- At approximately 9:00 a.m. on Dec. 27, 2017, a Santa Ana Police Department (SAPD) motorcycle patrol officer conducted a traffic stop on the defendant, who is accused of driving the Scion near Main Street in Santa Ana.
- SAPD Officer Doe parked his motorcycle directly behind the stolen vehicle and ordered the defendant to stay in the car after he attempted to exit the vehicle.
- Mauro is accused of accelerating backward and crashing into Officer Doe’s police motorcycle before fleeing the scene.
On Dec. 29, 2017, SAPD located the defendant near Plaza of the Flags in the Santa Ana Civic Center.
- Mauro is accused of fleeing on foot from four SAPD officers who attempted to detain him.
- While fleeing, the defendant is accused of jumping over a wall and onto a parking lot 20 feet below before being placed under arrest.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Brock Zimmon, Special Prosecutions Unit
TONY RACKAUCKAS, District Attorney
Susan Kang Schroeder, Chief of Staff
Michelle Van Der Linden,Spokesperson