The California DMV knows what a pain it is to forget your driver’s license at home. They have now launched a phone app, the CA DMV Wallet app, to test drive their new mobile driver’s license (mDL).
You will be able to speed through TSA PreCheck® at SFO and LAX with this new mDL. You can also control the information you share when purchasing adult beverages.
Be among the first to carry your driver’s license on your phone by joining this voluntary pilot.
How to Enroll in the mDL Pilot
- To enroll in the free and voluntary mDL pilot, you need a smartphone and a valid, easily readable California DL/ID. Use your smartphone to download the CA DMV Wallet app from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- iPhone Users: Minimum requirements: iPhone 6 with iOS 13 and newer.
Android Users: Minimum requirements: Android 7 and newer. Android 10-based EMUI 10 devices are NOT supported.
- Launch the app from your smartphone. You will be prompted to log in to your personal MyDMV account or create one. If you have an account you may be prompted to provide your DL# and/or SSN# to upgrade your account to access the mDL.
Follow instructions to scan your physical DL or ID card. If you have both a California driver’s license and an ID, you get to choose which to enroll.
Important Usage Information
- Continue to carry your physical driver’s license or state-issued ID card. Law enforcement, state government agencies, and businesses aren’t yet accepting the mDL.
- The mDL is currently authorized for limited usage. There are many participating airports across the United States.
- Usage is not tracked, and no data leaves your device without your consent. The mDL provides accurate, secure proof of identity to the businesses you interact with and lowers the potential for fraud and identity theft.