The historic First Baptist Church of Santa Ana is celebrating Christmas all throughout December. You can join them this Saturday, Dec. 24, for their annual Christmas Eve candlelight program, which includes a service featuring Rev. Andy Quient, and Christmas Carols by candlelight, starting at 6 pm, in the patio and the Fireside Room.
First Baptist Church of Santa Ana is located at 1010 West 17th St., near Flower St.
The Original First Baptist Church of Santa Ana, courtesy of the Santa Ana Historical Preservation Society
First Baptist Church of Santa Ana is part of Santa Ana’s rich history. Mr. Wm. H. Spurgeon purchased seventy-six acres of land from the Yorba heirs in 1869 and laid out what was to become the city of Santa Ana. With only six or eight homes in the place and about one hundred fifty souls, thirteen people organized First Baptist Church of Santa Ana on a Saturday in March of 1871. This took place in the local school house.
Services were held in the school house until the first church was built in 1876. The cost was $4000 and it was located on four lots donated by Mr. Spurgeon at the corner of Main & Church Streets. The interior was unfinished for a number of years and financial problems were so severe during the first 10 -12 years, that the property was sold for taxes several times. At one point, members mortgaged their homes to pay off the church obligations and one member lost his home because of this. And Santa Ana developed, so did the church. As many members were from surrounding area, certain groups took their letters and established in neighboring cities.
With the coming of the railroad to Santa Ana, the city started to grow and the church membership grew with it requiring additions to be made to the building from time to time. In 1912, it was apparent that a new church building was needed. A new church, at the same location, was built in 1913-1914 at a cost of $ 49,244. It was dedicated free of debt.
Sunday Services include:
- Traditional Service @ 9:00 a.m.
- Adult Sunday School class@ 10:00 a.m.
- Sunday School for Children @ 11:00 a.m.
- Contemporary Service @ 11:00 a.m.
- Hispanic Services: 11:00 a.m. & 6:00 p.m.
Weekly Ministries include:
- 11:45 a.m.- Daytimers, Fireside Room (Every 3rd Tuesday of the month)
- 7:00 p.m.- “WOW” Women of the Word, Marie Evan’s Residence (Oct. 27- Dec. 9 2009)
- 9:30 a.m.- ABW Circle Meeting, Fireside Room (Every 4th Wednesday of the month)
- 7:00 p.m.- Mid-Week Round Table, Fireside Room (Oct. 27- Dec. 9 2009)
- 7:00 p.m.- AMPLIFIED! Room 101 (Oct. 27- Dec. 9 2009)
- 1:00 p.m. Worship & Music Mtg., Room 101 (Every 1st Thursday of the month)
- 7:00 p.m. Chancel Choir rehearsal, Choir Room
- 7:00 p.m. Narcotics Anonymous, Fireside Room
Call 714-547-2557 for more information or click here.