Northgate González Market will be opening a new large-format supermarket at 2603 Westminster Ave. in Santa Ana in early November. The company invested more than $25 million in the new store and an adjacent shopping center.
The store, combined with another one opening later, will replace two locations that will then close. The two smaller stores scheduled for closure are at 1623 W 17th St. and 409 E. 4th St. All employees from those stores will transfer to a new store or another one in the Santa Ana area.
To provide customers with an opportunity to continue shopping at Northgate Market, the company will provide scheduled shuttle services during the holidays from the E. 4th Street store to the store located at 1010 S. Main Street.
“We are excited at the Santa Ana community’s overwhelming support and response to our soon-to-be-open newest store,” said Oscar González, co-president of Northgate González Market. “The continued commitment of our grocery brand to the residents of Santa Ana provides us with an opportunity to offer local consumers an expanded, fresh, and new authentically Mexican shopping experience with a beautiful, larger, and innovative format with enhanced customer service that will exceed everyone’s expectations!”
Employees from the stores scheduled for closure will be offered jobs at the new locations or another store in the Santa Ana area. The new supermarket is also expected to hire more new employees as it will be a larger store with more products.
The new store will offer:
- Hot and Cold Food Bars: New varieties of tamales, hot soups and stews, a robust variety of fresh salsa and sauces, and self-serve hot meals for any occasion.
- An impressive Fresh Produce Selection: Featuring an extensive selection of farm-fresh fruits and vegetables from around the world, including hard-to-find spices, dried chiles, and Mexican herbs – all delivered fresh seven days a week.
- Expanded Meats and Cheeses: A specialty meat and cheese shop where customers will find one of the largest collections of authentic, fresh foods that complement all their favorite recipes and traditional dishes inspired by Mexico.
- An expanded bakery/panadería with the addition of more than 100 artisan breads, cakes, and cookies – all made hot and fresh every day.
- An extensive beer, wine, and tequila section where customers can find their favorite beverage of choice amongst one of the largest selections in Southern California.
- One of the largest seafood and ceviche offerings, including ten types of ceviche and shrimp cocktails – made with authentic recipes from Mexico- and a large fresh seafood/pescadería section offering exciting fresh catches of the week.
The new store will also offer hundreds of new, on-the-go items to choose from, along with easy-to-navigate checkout services as well as a large meat department, bakery, tortillería, fresh produce, and prepared foods, along with a sizable section of domestic and imported Mexican foods and grocery items to provide a Mexican homeland experience.
Northgate González Market is known for many of the signature items that it has offered for 42 years, such as marinated carne asada, chorizo, and the store’s famous made-in-store carnitas.