FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 18CF3361
DATE December 4, 2018
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was charged today with murder and causing great bodily injury while driving under the influence of alcohol.
Defendant: Jesus Segura Herrera, 29, Orange
Charged today, Dec. 4, 2018, with the following felony counts:
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol causing injury
- Driving with blood alcohol content of .08% or more causing bodily injury
- Sentencing Enhancements:
- Great bodily injury
Maximum Sentence: 15 years to life in state prison
Continued arraignment on Dec. 21, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. at Department CJ-1, Central Jail, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- On Dec. 2, 2018, Jane Doe, John Doe, and Jorge Carrillo were stopped at an intersection on Grand Avenue in Santa Ana.
- As the light turned green, the defendant is accused of crashing into the back of the victims’ vehicle, sending them into the intersection.
- Witnesses rushed to help the defendant out of his car. Herrera is further accused of fighting the witnesses, re-entering his car, and attempting to flee.
- The defendant is accused of crashing into a nearby light pole, where he remained until police arrived.
- John Doe sustained a broken spine and Jorge Carillo was pronounced dead at the scene as a result of the crash.At the time of the crime, Herrera is accused of having a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .26 percent.
- Santa Ana Police Department investigated this case.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Dan Feldman, Homicide Unit.