ORANGE COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY NEWS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 17CF1023
Date: April 26, 2017
SANTA ANA, Calif. – An Uber driver was charged yesterday with raping a female passenger in Santa Ana.
Defendant/Charges/Maximum Sentence/Court Date
- Angel Sanchez, 37, Costa Mesa
- One felony count of rape of intoxicated victim
- Eight years in state prison
- Arraignment: May 1, 2017, 8:30 a.m. at Department C-55, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- On March 30, 2017, the victim was at a company gathering in Newport Beach.
- The victim’s colleagues requested an Uber ride for her from the gathering to the victim’s home in Santa Ana.
- At the time of the crime, defendant Angel Sanchez was a driver for Uber and is accused of picking up the victim in a 2016 gray Toyota Sienna.
- Sanchez is accused of driving the victim to a street near her residence in Santa Ana and sexually assaulting the victim in his vehicle while she was under the influence of alcohol.
- The victim ran from the defendant’s vehicle and immediately called 911 reporting that she was attacked.
- Santa Ana Police Department investigated this case and arrested Sanchez on April 1, 2017.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Mena Guirguis, Sexual Assault Unit
TONY RACKAUCKAS, District Attorney
Susan Kang Schroeder, Chief of Staff
Michelle Van Der Linden,Spokesperson