The Santa Ana warehouse of the Red Hill Construction company, located at 1431 E St Andrew Place., caught fire on Thursday morning after rags soaked in a wood-staining chemical spontaneously combusted overnight, according to the O.C. Register.
Thirty Orange County Fire Authority firefighters arrived at the scene at 7:11 a.m., and extinguished the fire. The fire caused $150K damage to the building and $200K damage to its contents.
Unfortunately the warehouse, several vehicles and most of the equipment inside was destroyed by the fire. The building will also need a new roof.
These types of fires are common. The solution is to store the oily rags in a special waste bin that prevents spontaneous combustion.