Weekend Shutdown Set for I-405/SR-22 Connector
Detours in place for July 26-29 for those traveling southbound on I-405 and connecting to eastbound SR-22
ORANGE – The connector from the southbound San Diego Freeway (I-405) to the eastbound Garden Grove Freeway (SR-22) will be closed beginning at 10 p.m. Friday, July 26 continuing through 5 a.m. Monday, July 29.
The 55-hour weekend closure is necessary so crews can restripe lanes and switch traffic from the existing connector bridge to a newly constructed bridge as part of the West County Connectors Project, a joint effort of the Orange County Transportation Authority and Caltrans.
Signs will be posted and the following detour is recommended for drivers:
· Exit the southbound I-405 at Westminster Boulevard East and continue on Westminster Boulevard
· Turn left (north) on Goldenwest Street
· Continue north on Goldenwest to eastbound SR-22
On average, 63,000 vehicles a day travel from the southbound I-405 to eastbound SR-22.
In addition to the southbound I-405 to eastbound SR-22 connector, these closures also will be in place during the same 55-hour period:
· Eastbound SR-22 Valley View Street off-ramp
· Eastbound SR-22 Valley View Street on-ramp
· Garden Grove Boulevard between Valley View Street and the northbound I-405 Valley View Street off-ramp
The $277 million West County Connectors project will improve traffic flow by directly connecting carpool lanes on I-405, I-605 and SR-22. In addition, a second carpool lane will be constructed on I-405 between SR-22 and I-605. The 6-mile project traverses the cities of Garden Grove, Westminster, Seal Beach, Los Alamitos, Long Beach and the community of Rossmoor.
For more information regarding the upcoming closure, visit www.octa.net/bridgedemo.
# # #