Costa Mesa Police Department
SANTA ANA, Calif. – Law enforcement seeking potential additional victims of a man arrested and charged yesterday with indecent exposure to high school and college students in Costa Mesa.
Brandon Alexis Mumtaz, 18, Costa Mesa, was arrested and charged on Oct. 11, 2018, with the following misdemeanor counts:
• (2) Indecent exposure
• Child annoyance
If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of two years in County Jail and sex offender registration pursuant to penal code 290. He is scheduled for an arraignment on Nov. 8, 2018, 8:30 a.m., in Department W-4, West Justice Center, Westminster.
Circumstances of the Case
- On Oct. 1, 2018, at approximately 4:10 p.m., Mumtaz is accused of standing behind his vehicle in a parking lot at Orange Coast College and exposing his penis to Jane Doe 1.
- The victim reported the incident to Costa Mesa Police Department (CMPD) later that day.
- On Oct. 3, 2018, Jane Doe 2 was walking home from school when the defendant is accused of pulling up next to her in his vehicle.
- Mumtaz is accused of speaking to the victim from the vehicle while exposing his penis to her.
- The victim ran to find help and the defendant is accused of fleeing the scene.
- On Oct. 9, 2018, CMPD, who investigated this case, released a photo of the vehicle from surveillance footage and requested the public’s help in identifying the suspect.
- On Oct. 11, 2018, CMPD arrested Mumtaz after receiving a tip from the community.
Anyone with information or who believes they have been a victim is encouraged to contact CMPD Detective Maridakis at 714-754-5051.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Dustin Chupurdy, West Justice Center