Case # 18CM06849
Date: July 31, 2018
SANTA ANA, Calif. – An off-duty Garden Grove Police Department (GGPD) officer was arraigned yesterday for driving under the influence (DUI) after falling asleep at the wheel on the 55 freeway.
Defendant: Jared Russell Doyle, 32
Charged on July 3, 2018, with the following misdemeanor counts:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol
- Driving with blood alcohol content (BAC) .08 percent or more
Maximum Sentence: Six months in county jail
Sept. 5, 2018, 8:30 a.m.
Department C-60, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- At the time of the crime, Doyle was employed as a police officer with GGPD and was off-duty.
- On May 27, 2018, at approximately 8:00 a.m., Doyle is accused of driving on the 55 freeway while under the influence of alcohol and weaving between lanes.
- The defendant is accused of falling asleep at the wheel and coming to a stop in the middle of the freeway.
- Witnesses called 911 and California Highway Patrol (CHP) officers responded to the scene.
CHP arrested Doyle, who is accused of having a blood alcohol content of 0.16 percent.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Jeffrey Kirk, Special Prosecutions Unit.