Orange County is taking steps to prevent the return of homeless encampments at the Santa Ana Civic Center and Riverbed, which were permanently cleared earlier this year.
Today, the Orange County Board of Supervisors approved $1.6 million for supportive housing services for homeless individuals that were removed from the Santa Ana Riverbed and Civic Center. In March, the county cleared 13,950 needles, 400 tons of debris and 5,279 pounds of hazardous waste from the Riverbed encampment.
“Today’s action will help prevent the return of homeless encampments at the Civic Center and Riverbed,” said Supervisor Andrew Do, Chairman of the Orange County Board of Supervisors. “Orange County will continue to do everything we can to address homelessness, but we need help from our cities to increase long-term housing capacity and emergency shelter facilities.”
Under an agreement with the Illumination Foundation, the county will provide funding for a minimum of 60 people to receive temporary housing at a motel while searching for long-term independent or supported housing in the community. Individuals will receive access to meals, transportation and storage facilities.
Homeless individuals that participate in the program will be required to sign and adhere to a code of conduct that spells out behavioral expectations in order to receive the housing assistance.
“Orange County will continue to provide help for people that want to get back on their feet and take control of their lives,” said Supervisor Do.
Since July 1, 2017, the County and its contractor, City Net, have contacted 1,182 individuals from the Santa Ana Riverbed and Civic Center about assistance services, of whom 58 percent accepted help.