City of Santa Ana, Downtown Orange County
SANTA ANA, CA – Last week, the City of Santa Ana sent a letter requesting that the California National Guard consider the approval of an extension of the Orange County Cold Weather Armory Emergency Shelter Program for at least 90 days past the scheduled April 15, 2018 closure. This was followed up this week by Assemblywoman Sharon Quirk-Silva (District 65) and Assemblymember Tom Daly (District 69) requesting support from the Governor to make this request a reality.
“Now is not the time to turn our backs on some of the most vulnerable members of our community,” said Assemblywoman Quirk-Silva. “I truly appreciate the Governor’s fast response to this request,” said Assemblymember Tom Daly.
“I would like to thank Assemblywoman Quirk-Silva for her dedication and support to ensuring that the Santa Ana and Fullerton Armories stay open,” stated Mayor Pro Tem Michele Martinez. “This action gives renewed options on how we continue to addre ss, as a County, the shared responsibility for the homeless that reside in Orange County. I would also like to thank Judge David O. Carter for highlighting the impacts of homelessness and bringing the County and cities together to find solutions through action.”
After the removal of more than 700 individuals from the Santa Ana Riverbed, many of these individuals received 30 day motel vouchers, others utilized the Santa Ana or Fullerton National Guard Armories directly. For over 30 years, the Santa Ana Armory has been utilized nightly during the cold winter months, from October through April. During those months, many homeless individuals have utilized the shelter to have a warm place to sleep.