Case # 18CF0538
TRANSIENT WOMAN CHARGED WITH KIDNAPPING 12-YEAR-OLD GIRL AS SHE WALKED TO SCHOOL IN SANTA ANA
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A transient woman was charged yesterday with kidnapping a 12-year-old girl as she walked to school in Santa Ana.
Defendant: Claudia Hernandez, 34, transient
Charged on Feb. 22, 2018, with the following felony counts:
- Kidnapping a child under 14
- Child stealing
Maximum Sentence: 11 years in state prison
Pre-trial hearing on March 2, 2018, 8:30 a.m. at Department C-55, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- On Feb. 21, 2018, at approximately 7:45 a.m., 12-year-old Jane Doe was walking to her intermediate school near Main Street and Cubbon Street in the city of Santa Ana.
- Hernandez is accused of approaching the girl, grabbing her around the torso, and retaining control of her as she led the victim several hundred feet down Main Street.
- A woman who was driving down the street witnessed Jane Doe in distress, pulled over to assist, and called 911.
- The Santa Ana Police Department responded to the scene and located the defendant nearby, where she was arrested.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Julie Butler, Central Justice Center.