ORANGE COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY NEWS RELEASE
Case # 15CF0763
Date: April 14, 2017
*Defendant fled to Mexico and was extradited by authorities
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was sentenced today to 50 years to life in state prison for the shooting-murder of his sister’s boyfriend.
Adan Rodriguez Leon, 34, Santa Ana. Found guilty by a jury on Feb. 9, 2017:
- One felony count of murder
- Sentencing enhancement for personal discharge of a firearm causing death was also found true
- 50 years to life in state prison
Circumstances of the Case
Leon was convicted and sentenced for the following:
- At approximately 2:30 p.m. on April 8, 2015, Leon went to the home of his sister’s boyfriend, 39-year-old Paul Guzman, in Santa Ana.
- Defendant contacted Guzman and walked down the sidewalk with him.
- Leon pulled out a loaded firearm, shot the victim multiple times, and ran away.
- The defendant then fled to Mexico.
- Santa Ana Police Department (SAPD) was investigated this case.
- On April 10, 2015, authorities in Mexico detained the defendant on a warrant.
SAPD took custody of the defendant on April 12, 2015.
Victim Impact Statements
During the sentencing today, the victim’s mother, sister, and aunt were present and delivered victim impact statements.
The victim’s sister, Amanda Guzman, said in part, “He was my big brother and my friend, and now he is gone … It hurts me even more that this [was done] by someone I knew, someone I grew up playing childhood games with.”
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Keith Burke of the Homicide Unit.
TONY RACKAUCKAS, District Attorney
Susan Kang Schroeder, Chief of Staff
Michelle Van Der Linden,Spokesperson