For Immediate Release:November 30, 2015
Contact: Tricia Landquist firstname.lastname@example.org, 714-834-2178
World AIDS Day on Dec. 1, 2015
(Santa Ana) – More than 60 million people have been infected with the HIV virus and approximately 30 million people have died of AIDS worldwide. In Orange County, 11,987 people have been diagnosed with HIV and using CDC criteria, 938 people are estimated to be infected but do not know it.
World AIDS Day is commemorated on December 1st; it is a day to reflect and remember those who have lost their lives and those who are still living with HIV disease. The 2015 theme for World AIDS Day is “Getting to Zero. Zero new HIV Infections. Zero Discrimination. Zero AIDS Related Deaths.” Eliminating stigma about HIV, encouraging everyone to know their HIV status, and making sure people living with HIV have access to medical care and medications are all important steps to “Getting to Zero” in Orange County.
The following events will be held in commemoration of World AIDS Day:
- A candlelight vigil will be held in Laguna Beach on Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 5 p.m. at the Cobblestone area of the Main Beach.
- AIDS Services Foundation (ASF) in collaboration with the Santora Art Complex presents A Day With(out) Art. A reception will be held on Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at ASF (Irvine) from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- To list a World AIDS Day event visit, http://www.worldaidsday.org/events/.
Get tested to know your status!
HIV testing is available throughout Orange County at these locations:
- AIDS Services Foundation (Irvine): Walk-ins only on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3 p.m to 8 p.m.; and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (949) 809-8775.
- APAIT Health Center (Garden Grove): Walk-ins Monday and Wednesday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.: Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. For additional hours, please make an appointment: (714) 636-1669.
- Orange County Health Care Agency (Santa Ana): 17th Street Clinic. Walk-ins only on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Tuesday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (714) 834-8787.
- The LGBT Center OC (Santa Ana): Walk-Ins Tuesday and Thursday 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday by appointment only 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. To make an appointment call: (714) 953-5428.
Make HIV testing a part of your routine healthcare. If you have never had an HIV test, ask your medical provider for an HIV test. For more testing sites and information about HIV services in Orange County, call (714) 834-8711 or visit http://ochealthinfo.com/phs/about/dcepi/hiv/sites.
# # #