The Spurgeon Social Justice Club is hosting a Noche de Justicia” on Thursday, December 18th, from 5-7 pm in the C-Quad at Spurgeon Intermediate School on Fifth and Fairview in Santa Ana, CA. It is a celebration of the Brown vs. Board of Education Decision that desegregated public education in the United States. The event is open to students, parents, SAUSD staff, and community members. There will be music, performances, and food. There is no charge for the event.
It will be a great event filled with Danza Azteca, great music from the Valley Marching Band (including Spurgeon students) and the Spurgeon choir, spoken word from the community, great speakers, and the unveiling of the mural “In Defense of Santa Ana” created by the Spurgeon students who attended the “History of Santa Ana” class this summer at Spurgeon. They will end the evening with a plate of tamales for everyone!
For further information you can also reach the teacher who is coordinating the event, Mike Rodriguez, at 310-916-8787.
Noche de Justicia Program
- Aztec Dancers (15 minutes) 5:00-‐5:15
- Announcements: Child care and translation equipment (5 minutes) 5:15-‐5:20
- Introduction–Masters of Ceremonies, Olivia Fregoso and Blanca Moreira (5 min.) 5:20-‐5:25
- What is the Social Justice Club?
- Why are we here?
- Valley Marching Band (20 minutes) 5:35-‐5:55
- Spurgeon choir (20 minutes) 5:55-‐6:15
- Book Club Presentation: The Importance of Literacy 6:15-‐6:25
- Brown v. Board Video (10 minutes) 6:25-‐6:35
- Abraham Medina-‐Keynote speaker (6:35-‐6:50)
- 9. Unveiling of Mural–Diego and Virginia (10 minutes) 6:50-‐7:00
- History of Social Justice Club
- Mural unveiling
- Organizations of presentations–30 seconds each (10 minutes) 7:00-‐7:10
- Closing and Thank you’s–Blanca and Olivia (10 minutes) 7:10-‐7:20
- Food and Tabling of organizations. The Strings segment of the Band will be performing. (30 minutes) 7:20-‐close
Organizations/Clubs setting up booths for the event:
- Rainbow Warriors
- Book Club
- Senator Lou Correa
- Parents with Civic Engagement Power/Padres con Poder Civico
- Parent Institute for Quality Education
- Santa Ana Boys and Men of Color
- El Joven Noble-‐Noble Youth