Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez (CA-46) is excited to announce the start of the 2013 Congressional Art Competition. This nationwide high school art competition recognizes the artistic talents of each Congressional district. Since 1982 more than 650,000 high school students have participated.
2013 Congressional Art Competition Theme:
The theme for this year’s competition is, “The Rhythm Of Our Lives.”
We will be looking for a piece that captures the culture and vibrant life in Orange County through music and the arts.
We are excited to see how each student interprets this theme and translates it into their own unique piece of artwork.
Submitted Artwork Guidelines:
- Must be 2 dimensional
- Must indicate on the back of the piece, the top and bottom of the piece (due to some artwork being abstract, this will help indicate how to appropriately hang the artwork).
Accepted mediums are as follows:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal (It is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed.)
- Collage Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Computer-generated art
Submitted artwork may be no larger than 28”x28”x4”, including the frame
Artwork cannot weight more than 15 pounds
How to Enter:
In order to enter into the Art Competition, applicants must:
- Review the 2013 Student/Teacher Guidelines
- Fill out a 2013 Student-Information Release Form
- Complete the Art Submission Checklist prior to submitting your final work
Selection of Winners:
Students will submit their entries to Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez’s District Office for judging by local artists and art professionals. We will have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner.
The 1st place winner will receive the following:
1st Place Winner:
The 1st place winner will receive two (2) roundtrip tickets to Washington D.C.to attend an awards ceremony and will have their artwork displayed in the United States Capitol building for one year. They will also be invited to a congratulatory award ceremony in the district in California.
The 1st place winner will also receive a scholarship to an art institution.
2nd and 3rd Place Winners:
2nd and 3rd place winners will receive a Congressional Certificate of recognition and will be invited to a congratulatory awards ceremony in the district in California.
The 2nd place winner will also receive a scholarship to an art institution.
The 3rd place winner will also receive a scholarship to an art institution.
Deadline and Submission Information:
All artwork must be submitted by Friday, April 12, 2013 to the Congresswoman’s District Office between the hours of 8:30 am- 5:30 pm.
Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez, District Office
12397 Lewis Street
Garden Grove, California 92840
If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Wynne in the district office at (714) 621-0102 or by e-mail at Michelle.Wynne@mail.house.gov or Melanie Abe in the Washington D.C. office at (202) 225-2965 or by e-mail at Melanie.firstname.lastname@example.org.