Santa Ana Police Department Citizen Alert: HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS
TRICK OR TREAT
- Meet Trick or Treaters at the door, never encourage children to enter a stranger’s house or invite them into your home.
- Have children go with an adult or an older brother or sister.
- Carry a flashlight, glowstick or reflective bag.
- Walk don’t run. Cross streets only at corners. Never cross the streets between parked cars or in the middle of the street.
- Keep costumes simple. Long and fancy ones could cause children to trip. Costumes should also be fireproof.
- Costumes should be made of light colored material, so they can easily be seen at night. Reflectorized patches can also be added to the costume.
- Everyday shoes should be worn, as opposed to fancy “clown” or “Pirate” shoes, etc…. shoes are very important and everyday shoes are much safer.
- Props such as toy guns or swords should be made of cardboard or Styrofoam, so they won’t injure if fallen upon.
- Insist that treats be brought home for inspection before anything is eaten.
- Give wrapped commercial treats to children. Have parents check all treats before you eat them. Throw away anything unwrapped and check the candy wrappers for signs of tampering.
- Notify the Santa Ana Police Department if harmful items are found, so that other parents may be warned and the people responsible apprehended. (714) 834-4211