The Fourth of July and the celebration of our nation’s birthday is an exciting time in Santa Ana. The Santa Ana Fire Department wants to remind every one that only California State Fire Marshal approved Safe and Sane fireworks may be purchased, possessed or discharged within the city.
Please remember fireworks are explosives and can cause severe personal injuries and property damage if used incorrectly. Follow all manufacturers’ directions for discharging Safe and Sane fireworks.
Click here to read the City of Santa Ana’s Fireworks Regulations.
The Santa Ana Fire Department offers the following safety tips for the discharge of Safe and Sane Fireworks:
- Only purchase and discharge fireworks purchased from a licensed fireworks booth located in the City of Santa Ana.
- Fireworks may only be purchased, possessed or discharged from July 1 through July 4.
- Fireworks may be purchased, possessed or discharged only by people 18 years of age or older.
- Use fireworks outdoors only.
- Always have water handy. (A hose or bucket).
- Only use fireworks as intended. Don’t try to alter them or combine them.
- Do not ever use homemade fireworks of illegal explosives: They can kill you! Report illegal explosives to the fire or police department in your community.
- Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks
- Don’t hold fireworks in your hand or have any part of your body over them while lighting. Wear some sort of eye protection, and avoid carrying fireworks in your pocket — the friction could set them off.
- Dispose of discharged fireworks by placing them in a metal container, or immersing them in a bucket of water. (CAUTION! DISCHARGED FIREWORKS WILL BE HOT!!)
- Make sure the area you will be discharging your Safe and Sane fireworks in, is free of dry grass, brush, trees, or litter. Fireworks are permitted to be discharged on private property only or in the street directly in front of your home.
- Report the sale or use of illegal fireworks to the Santa Ana Police Department by calling (714) 245-8665.
- DO NOT discharge any firework that explodes or leaves the ground. (M-80, FIRECRACKERS, BOTTLE ROCKETS, MORTAR AND AERIAL SHELL)
- DO NOT tamper or alter any Safe and Sane fireworks to cause it to explode or leave the ground.
- DO NOT throw any firework or other burning material into the air.
- DO NOT discharge any fireworks in any City park.