Senator Lou Correa and the United Mexican-American Veterans Association are celebrating the 2010 Women’s History Month with a “Women Making A Difference Awards and Tea Reception” on Thursday, March 18, from 4:00 – 6:00 PM at the Rancho Santiago Community College District headquarters, located at 2323 N. Broadway, in Santa Ana.
Maria T. Solis-Martinez is being recognized as the Woman of the Year, by Senator Correa.
- Maria retired from the US Air Force.
- Is on the Board Member for American GI Forum, and
- Is a long-term Member of UMAVA (United Mexican-American Veterans Association)
The following outstanding women are getting recognized by CA State Senator Lou Correa as “Women Making a Difference” alongside other outstanding women of Orange County:
- Judge C. Eileen Moore – 2nd Lt US Army Nurse Corps, Combat nurse in Vietnam (1966) – (with a special recommendation by Pastor Frank Orzio, UMAVA Chaplain)
- Kristen Kavanaugh, Capt-US Marines and a business professional in Orange County.
- Leonor Barajas, US Army (during Korea); member of LULAC and UMAVA
- Maria T. Solis Martinez
- Nelida Yanez, US Army (former Commander of UMAVA & Treasurer for MANA of OC)
- Nellie Kaniski, US Marines-retired, UMAVA Board Member & Executive Director for MANA of OC
The program includes a cup of tea, refreshments, legislative updates and inspiration. The program will also include a keynote address by Captain Maria M. Lanfor.
Please RSVP by email to Claudia.Ornelas@sen.ca.gov or call (714) 558-4400, by March 16.